Monday, April 21, 2008

Жить в бизнес-классе!

I'm in Moscow!

It was a long journey to get here, but I got to ride first class with KLM, which was awesome! I even got a little tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream with my meal! Quality living!

I'm staying in Godzillas Hostel again, and it's been completely renovated! We have a private room, sheets and blankets, and even unlimited wireless internet for 1700 rubles/night (or about €22 per person).

Kelly and I toured around Moscow today. We saw Red Square, grabbed some delicious chocolate blini (kind of the Russian crepe) in front of Christ the Savior, and walked down New Arbot. Now I'm exhausted, but before I go to sleep: МОИ ФОТОГРАФИИ!


Red Square was empty! That was a big change from last year.


outside Red Square
Authentic Russian souvenirs now include rolls of toilet paper with American currency printed on them. To quote the Russian newspaper The Exile (which is an entertaining read, by the way):
The dollar is so worthless here that fanning out stacks of Benjamins has become Russia's newest ironic photograph pose, joining the likes of the lesbian kiss and the kukla-mukla lip pucker.


Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, outside the Kremlin


On the bridge to Christ the Savior, there are hundreds of these padlocks. It turns out newly-weds traditionally sign their names on the locks, clip them to the bridge and then throw the key into the river below.


statue of Peter the Great on the Moskva river
This statue was built in 1997 and is over 300 feet tall, making it the sixth tallest statue in the world. It has become quite famous since its construction due to its being insanely gaudy, obstructive and just plain ironic - remember how Peter hated Moscow so much that he built St. Petersburg? One critic calls the monument a "big toy soldier stuck atop a bunch of broken model ships."


Here's where we had some delicious, steaming, chocolate blini.


Near the Lenin Library is this statue of Dostoevsky. He seems so sad, looking out over the omnipresent giant advertisements (which I'm pretty sure the city puts up simply in order to hide the nasty Soviet architecture).


On our way home, Kelly found this sign lying in a stack of debris. Something for the French House next year ;)

7 comments:

Catherine said...

First!

Catherine said...

Hey I don't think I've been first before, well, maybe I have, but not before the "first game" started.

Colin what does the sign Kelly found in the trash say?

the toilet paper is really weird (and sort of sad for what it says about our economy; when Russians can joke about it, not so good)

I am glad you are there safely and rested up and are eating chocolate blinis. I remember you liked those blinis! Beats the fried lard in lard sauce, right?

Wow, Godzilla's sounds really good, improved from last year. Great that you have internet access in your room too.

What plans do you two have for your week there?

I am sorry we missed you with skype. With 9 hours difference (time zones), we aren't going to match up well this week. We work while you play!

Try me Thursday; I will be home during the day on Thursday.

love you!

Paul Halverson said...

Sorry I wasn't home for Skype - got caught up in some work...
I'm sitting out on the patio right now! Another beautiful day - but clouding up rapidly for our thunderstorms tonight - so I though I'd better take advantage of it while I can!
Not much news - got started on yard work yesterday.
Nice that you don't have to travel those dark alleys at night after blogging at the Kafe Haus!
...Anxiously awaiting more wonderful blogs...
Love you,
Dad
ps.Trooper just tried to climb up on the chair next to me!

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm re-joining the world today! This might be my first "normal" day since my apt was turned upside down 2 1/2 wks ago. (I'm hoping for normal - I need a little normal and I need a little sleep)

I enjoyed the photo-less blog also - great insights.

RE: the toilet paper. Do I also see Euros on a roll?

Does anyone at Godzilla remember you?

Moscow looks pretty dark and dreary in your photos.

Karl said...

Back in Moscow- Wow! You are making the most of your trip- that is great! It does have a dreary oppressive feel from the photos, tho....

I am unfamiliar with the kukla-mukla lip pucker.

So fanning out the Benjamins isn't what it used to be in Moscow, eh? Nor here. Bummer to be traveling worldwide while the dollar is at record lows.

Pat M said...

Hi Colin, and all you blog readers...
I'm the tail-ender this time. It is now Tues evening. Let's see, since the Musicale, my birthday was neat, stretched out over four days,, sort of. Card Makers had a real party and too much food, on my day. Mon eve Nick took Teri and me to Fish Merchant for our birthdays. Yes, Teri's B day gets lost sometimes, we play catch-up. Today was a biggie, with our Card Makers on a Field Trip. Reason: we can't use the clubhouse this week as we all are getting ready for White Elephant Sale. So we went to "Of The Heart" in Lemon Grove,a Stampers Paradise; had so much fun looking and buying. The owners open at Noon normally, but opened for us at 10 am. Then gave us all 15% off all purchases at the end. Lunch was right across the street at Por Favor's. Nick brought over pizza this eve, I had the beer here.

I know this is getting too long, but my dear sis Rita is in trouble, could be aneurysm, could end up being stroke, much bleeding from brain area. Will be in hosp, immobile, for one wk. Say some prayers, ok?

Russia looks much as it did last year, Colin, except not crowded anywhere. So glad you got the Ben and Jerry's with your meal! Love, Gr Pat

Jaz said...

The good advice for the traveler is to forget about it and immerse himself in the experience.

Casa Mara Cartagena