Sunday, April 27, 2008

Всё хорошо, что хорошо кончается.

So I made it back safely to Constance!
“Yeah, whatever,” you say, "Just tell me about the exciting adventures from your last few days in Moscow!”
Very well, I’ll indulge you:


the U of M!
but seriously, the Moscow State University
It’s certainly not pretty in the traditional sense, but it is … hm …looming? intimidating? massive? Also, notice the woman in the bottom left of the photo. I love it.


One of the things I love the most about Moscow is that it has loads and loads of cheap and decent kiosks all over. Here is a caravan of kiosks, with all of the best. From the left: stardogs (not very good, actually, but it’s an anomaly), Kartoshka (potatoes from 40 rubles!), pirozhki (stuffed pastries), Grill XXI (I’m not actually sure what this is), Russian Chill (ice cream – Russians love their ice cream, even in the middle of the winter when it’s subzero), and finally my favorite: Blini!


On Friday we went to Novodevichy, a beautiful Russian monastery.


again

Walking into the monastery was like walking into the eye of a storm. Suddenly everything was calm; no one was yelling at us; the sun was shining; everything was still and gorgeous. I even saw Russians smiling!

Then we went to the zoo. Thank God it was free for students.


I have absolutely no idea.


This is exactly what the zoo looks like. Most of the cages or pens are empty, everything is cement, and it’s in the heart of Moscow (notice the lovely cityscape). Also, there were signs everywhere saying it’s forbidden to feed the animals, but left and right I saw Russians chucking greasy carnival food at the drooling animals.

Then in the evening Khatia (a friend I met last interim in Moscow) met up with us. We went out to eat at an amazing tapas place right near our hostel. Although it wasn't the cheapest place I've eaten at, it was definitely one of the best since coming abroad! Then we went to Red Square in order to see it lit up.


photo of Khatia and me

So if you decide ever to come to Moscow, here are some things to keep in mind:

* Almost certainly someone in your group needs to speak Russian. Muscovites either are unable or refuse to speak English. At the very least, you should be able to read the Russian alphabet.

* Be prepared for the Russians to be insanely rude to you. Kelly says they make the French seem wonderful.

* It's basically a sin not to try some chocolate blini.

* Use the metro. It's beautiful and extremely reliable.

So that’s it. Moscow was a blast – much better in the Spring! – and now I’m back to class. I’ll post photos of Constance in a couple of days.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Love the photos! It looks so sunny there.
You weren't there long, but it sounds like you got to do and see a lot, and much better to see photos of Moscow in the sort-of-spring.
Better than here, where we got sleet/snow again yesterday and more projected for tonight.
Snow accumulated on our deck overnight last night.
So now you are back to classes, hope all goes well.
No internet still, hmmmm.....That was a really good deal.
We will see you there in about 6 weeks, can't wait!
love you

Karl said...

That is some zoo Colin! You would think, with all of the petro-rubles they would have some animals, and something other than expanses of cement. Well, at least it was free!

Thanks for the blog posts. It is something that you are able to get as much travel in as you are. Fun to follow your tour!

Paul Halverson said...

Moscow does look a LOT nicer in the sunshine. That monastery looked really interesting. I hope you were able to get some photos inside.
Were the Tapas as good as Sante's? Did you have as much fun as when we went there? Although I am sure being in Moscow was a bit more exciting than being in Rochester!
Good luck on catching up on your studies! Hope your profs don't get too peeved when you tell them you are leaving again in two weeks!

Pat M said...

Sunday late afternoon, and not to be left out of this round...have to mention, San Diego was up to 98 deg at my place today! I like warm, but this was actually too hot. More bunnies are eating my back yard up..a new little tiny one, like size of my fist. Bare dirt in several places. Maybe when it's all bare dirt they'll go to neighbors?

Hope the classes go well,Colin, and that you didn't miss anything toooo important! Well, seeing more of Russia was important, too. Love, Gr Pat

Unknown said...

Where are you going in 2 weeks???
Hope you can keep up with you classes!

grandma mary said...

Thanks for the tips for travel to Moscow. I'll put them in my file for future consideration. Ha!
Your pictures, as usual were great. It is COLD here and we had some snow, too. Horrors! This winter has been unending.
I'm feeling very well except for my undependable feet.
Good luck with studies now.
Love, Grnadma Mary

Cody said...

You read my mind with the first sentence! You are good!

Catherine said...

Hey DUDUDUDUDUDE

It's nice to see it some what sunny :-) I was unaware that was possible in RUSSIA

So... the weather here SUCKS, one day it's 80 and the next 30.. sweet. I want school to be over with!! haha ANYWAYS...

Have el funo sir brother man

-Annnnnaalieseeee