Saturday, April 5, 2008

um Deutschland reisen

Hello dear blog-readers of mine!
So I've been traveling around Germany for my Spring Break. I thought I'd have more internet access than I've had, but I'm surviving anyway!
Here's my plan for the next several blogs. Each single blog I'm going to discuss one leg of the trip. Assuming (hoping) that some of you readers will visit Germany and want to do some of the things I have done, I'm also going to rank the activities (out of 5 asterisks, *****) and give the approximate price.

And we're off:
Our first stop was Stuttgart, but first we had to get to Singen, a town near Constance, in order to transfer to a different train. However, the railroad in Constance was under construction, so we had to go to a different station near by (we took a bus) and then board the train. Our connecting train in Singen was delayed an hour, so we grabbed coffee.


I'm an idiot. Whatever.
(in Singen)

Then we got to Stuttgart. Oh, and we're using the Eurrail Pass, which so far has been very easy. It cost me about $440, but it's unlimited travel for any 11 days in two months, so not a bad deal at all. We had to get it stamped before we got on our first train, and then we have to fill out the date in these little boxes each day before we travel. I give the Eurrail Pass ****, just because 5 stars is way too much for the first time I rate anything.

Anyway, Stuttgart was surprisingly gorgeous! (Quite possibly largely because the weather was spectacular.) We just wandered around and sat on the lawn near Schlossplatz (right near the two castles). People in Stuttgart were all very well dressed and very attractive. They were also predominantly Mediterraneans-looking, which surprised me.


inside the Evangelical church
very modern, very chic


street musicians, Louis Vuitton, 17th century church


Schlossplatz


Stuttgart=second love of my life, after Constance

In Stuttgart we stayed at Alex 30. It was clean, the staff spoke English (even tho we didn't need it), and decently priced (€22/bed/night, I'm pretty sure). No breakfast, tho, and it's a decent distance from the train station. You can, however, take the street car (€1/trip) directly from the train station to the block where the hostel is located. I give it ***.

So that's all for this post. Expect another tomorrow with photos from Frankfurt and Bacharach!

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Hey it is great to see photos and it was wonderful to hear you via skype earlier this afternoon!
and what is the deal with that bear?
Are you in byron or what?
except it is blue and not made out of lawn mower blades.
we had a glorious day today weather-wise, first in forever.
I was in Stuttgart for about a week, long time ago, I remember it as fairly industrial, but your photos look otherwise.
I am anxious to hear about the rest of your adventures
thanks for posting and for calling
love ya!

Paul Halverson said...

Hey Colin - I like your rating system! Great to Skype with you earlier today - maybe next time we'll have a better connection. I think we changed trains in Stuttgart when we were traveling from Paris to Prague... but I don't remember anything about it, other than it was dark out.
We pick Anna up at the bus depot in Mason City tomorrow afternoon and should be home before 4... just in case you can get on Skype again...
ciao!

Karl said...

I give Colin's blog *****-5 stars!

Great to see you blogging again, I think we were all suffering withdrawal! If I can't be there, I have to live it through your blog, ya know!

I never made it to Berlin, or Stuttgart, but I did spend some time in Frankfurt on one of my trips there. Went through Frankfurt, through Mannhein and Heilbronn and North past Mosbach to Waldhausen to visit the Egenberger families there.

Did you ever get any emails/ responses from Volker? His email is volker@egenberger.de

Pat M said...

Hi Colin! Hooray! As Karl noted, we were all in withdrawal, going without your blog. So glad you could write again, and yes indeedy, 5 *****
Stuttgart looks neat and clean and pretty, can't ask for more than that.
I doubt if I will ever get to Germany, but certainly will watch for those rating stars, good idea.
We went to a marvelous performance last eve, Celtic Tenors, plus glorious soprano and super pianist.
All Irish of course, all classically trained and singing ALL kinds of music beautifully.
How fortunate all patrons of this East County Performing Arts are.
Think of you every day, praying that your whole break trip will be nothing but enjoyable. Love, GrPat

Paul Halverson said...

So - what kind of a store was HEPP (besser horen)... that was the bear you were greeting in Stuttgart. Were there bears all over? Like the cows they had in Chicago?

Unknown said...

i just had to tell you how much i love the photo with the bear!

sPoOky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.