Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Хорошая погода - в Москве?!

So we've actually had spectacular weather throughout the week! And (knock on wood) it's only supposed to continue to get better! Kelly tells me that the typically day in Moscow at this time of the year only gets around 4 hrs of sunlight. For the last two days, however, it has been cloudless from morning till night!


Yesterday we went to Red Square again. We went into St. Basil's and heard some gorgeous live choral music.


Then we went into the Kremlin and walked around, looking at all of the beautiful churches inside.


Here's a shot from the so-called "Secret Garden." We decided it's called the "Secret Garden," because it's almost impossible to get to. Basically every way you turn, there's a Russian rent-a-cop blowing his whistle at you and telling you "Nyet! Nyet!" It took us ages to find a path on which we were allowed to walk.


Crockpot (aka the Cyrillic D): just for you, Lindsay!


Moscow in the sun
(Christ the Savior in the center and the Kremlin on the right)

Then today we went to the Tretyakov. Unfortunately you can't take photos in there, but Kelly says this museum was in itself worth the trip to Moscow. I love it.

After that we went to Gorky Park - just for you, Dad!


Surprise! It's somewhat unattractive. My guess: It'll clean up in the summer.

Many St. Olaf students travel abroad in "less developed" countries and then flaunt pictures of themselves with "the natives" in order to seem culturally diverse and philanthropic. ("Oh facebook stalkers, look at me befriending this little African child! I'm the least racist white tourist ever!") Luckily Gorky Park threw me up this opportunity for my very own "ethnic baby" photo:


Russians, like the Germans, reject everything PC.


Gorky Park: Birthplace of Romance.

But truthfully, we thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Gorky Park. Like I said, I'm sure it's nicer in the summer, and I bought ice cream. Plus, the woman who sold me the ice cream was uncommonly friendly: When I tried to look for exact change, instead of yelling at me, she told me, "Take your time." (!!!)


Christ the Savior near sunset


Did I mention I went to the Caribbean?

Oh, and I almost forgot: We met this very strange French guy in our hostel, who apparently found his Russian girlfriend on the internet and is now very surprised that she's only interested in him for his money. He says she's very demanding and sometimes cruelly blunt. One time she gave him back a present he bought her and told him "This is really awful." That really cracks me up. So word to the wise: The WWW might not be the best place to find true love.

9 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

Wow - beautiful sunshine and a beach! Nice to see pictures of Moscow that aren't all gray and dreary... Thanks for getting the photos fo Gorky park. I especially liked the one where the guy has swept the woman off her feet in front of all that lovely grafitti! I hope the beautiful weather continues! You haven't mentioned the food lately (like you did in Paris) any reason why???

love,
Dad

Catherine said...

You never told me you were going to the Caribbean! And right there in Moscow, no less.
Wow!
I love the ethnically diverse and highly PC photo of you with the thumbs up.
Will you be entering that in any photo contests?
Well, the weather looks gorgeous and it seems you are having a blast.
I want to go to the Tetryakov!
I will be home tomorrow; skype okay?
Thanks for the beautiful photos
love you

Karl said...

Moscow looks incredible! Sunshine really helps.
Gorky park isn't how I imagined it tho.. off season no doubt. The ethnic baby pic is heartwarming. Nyet!
Keep posting! Fun to follow along on your travels!

Unknown said...

Well, I enjoyed the seam in the Caribbean shot!

Sunshine TRULY helps Moscow!
Without it, it appears quite depressing ... and might explain the demand for Vodka!

Sandy (Pat's Mom) said...

Love the pics- keep them coming- what happened to the schooling in Paris- are they already on a break?

Cody said...

I'll take your advice about the WWW ladies, thanks Colin, I could've found a beautiful Russian lady who only loves me the money I don't have. Hope you're enjoying Moscow pt. 2!

Catherine said...

Colin it was great to "skype" with you today
how was the tapas restaurant? Did you get the chocolate blini?
have fun tomorrow and then have a safe trip back on Saturday.
Let me know if you get your package.
I hope you eventually get internet in your room, especially since you paid an internet fee (this would seem reasonable)
love you!

Pat M said...

I'm a "behinder" again, Colin. Thoroughly enjoyed your blogs, and the GREAT photos. Moscow looks quite inviting, almost, in the sunnier pics. And that sunshine and beach umbrellas, wow! San Diego twin.
Am so glad your Russian visit is truly enjoyable this time, and now, back to work! Our clubhouse here is having our annual White Elephant Sale again, Friday (today) and Saturday.
None of us can believe how we accumulate SO MUCH STUFF thru the year, to put out for sale. Makes for good socializing too. Love, Gr Pat

Pat M said...

First!!! It is late Sat evening...does that count? All is well, except SD had 92 deg here for a short time today! Supposed to get back to normal after Sun evening.
Colin, I keep telling others of your adventures, esp a choir member who is from Stuttgart. She wanted to know if you'd been there, and I said "Of course, there aren't many places he HASN'T been!" Love, Gr Pat