Thursday, March 20, 2008

Exkursion Meersburg

I've got more photos!

I've had free time recently to doodle a little!

This one you might recognize from somewhere. Anyone? I've also painted a little, but no photos yet. Here's a shameless plug: If you haven't checked out my website yet, click here to see more of my loverly art!

On Wednesday we went to Meersburg, a small touristy town only a 15 minute ride by ferry (Autofähre) from Constance.


This photo is of Kirsten and me on the Autofähre. It was chilly on the ride. It was probably only 40°F that day. It's not a very good photo, but I know you all like seeing my smiling/grimacing face.


Here's a photo of Burg Meersburg, a somewhat redundant name. In English it would be "Castle Castle on the Sea." Here is where our tour of the ridiculous structure began. This time the German tour was led by this hilarious man. It was a blast. He teaches one of the sections of the language course. The tour itself was much better, but the subject of the tour (mainly these two castles in Meersburg) was really trashy.


So this is what I mean by "ridiculous" and "trashy." This young man was dressed up in what is apparently supposed to be garb from the Middle Ages. He was also wearing jeans, and that sword is definitely plastic.


These are skulls of very, very small deer. The Burg had skulls and animal heads all over, but they were very poorly kept up. There was also this moose head whose hide was almost completely decayed off. It was sort of disgusting.


Then there were these bizarre putti-babies with antlers for legs. (It's a chandelier, too!)


Here I am in a room with just suits of armor. And yes, that is the infamous Sir Pumpkinhead on my right.


Did I mention Meersburg is actually really pretty, tho?


This is the shoreline on the way back to the ferry. Five seconds after I took this photo, two swans swam up. Swans are all over Lake Constance.


And this one is for Teri. Not only is the region warm enough for magnolias, but also for palms. But yeah, I concede, it wasn't very warm at all during our tour of Meersburg.


And here's a photo of Germany giving the finger to political correctness.

Well, happy Easter all (or Frohe Ostern, as they say in my country)! Rolf Egenberger is coming down from Augsburg to spend the day with me in Constance this Saturday, and then I'm probably going back with him for an Egenberger family Easter celebration! He told me they're having something like a "small Oktoberfest" in Augsburg for the holiday.

So my language course is almost finished - only one week left! Next up is my tour of Germany, and then back to "real" life: The semester begins April 19! Expect another post after Easter holiday is over, and things open up again (ie, so I can use wireless).

7 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

Looks like a great excursion - though a bit chilly for palms... Not sure on the (great as usual) drawing, though it looked a bit like Johnny Dep in a towel...
I think I have Mom back in computing heaven (if she ever was there) cross your fingers but I think all of her programs will work correctly now.
Say a big HI to Rolf and family! Can't wait to see them in June! It is so nice of them to include you for Easter!

Karl said...

That is great you are getting together with Rolf, and making it to a Egenberger Easter Reunion- I would love that, even if I couldn't speak any German....have you tried to get ahold of Volker? I haven't heard from him in quite awhile...hasn't responded to my emails.

Is that a Durher you are working on?

There is a huge armory in Graz of the VonEggenberg's. I don't know if there is any connection. Have you looked into the supposed Egenberger castle in St. Gallens? Uncle Bernard had visited it ages ago, and I tried to get there when I was in Germany. I must have gotten pretty close to Constance when I was there- as you aren't far from St Gallens.

Keep posting! Fun to read your blog and see the pics!

Catherine said...

Hey supposedly my computer is now in working order!
That is wonderful news about Rolf and the Egenberger Easter!Wow, well, you can't be with us, but wonderful that you can be with relatives there. Please say hello to all of them from us, send love.
I agree with Paul - is that Johnny Depp in some sort of get up?
Your tour looks sort of okay - did you get a free meal this time?
We aren't warm here yet either, so you aren't missing anything. They are predicting up to 8 inches of snow tomorrow (we'll see, hopefully "they" are wrong, but it is certainly not balmy, in any case)
Annaliese comes home Saturday.
Thanks for keeping us updated!
love ya!

Paul Halverson said...

Oh - I've got it! It's the guy in the headscarf playing the ?hammer dulcimer? in Freiberg in your last set of photos... or was that Johnny Depp in disguise? I heard he does play in a band... ;-) Do I get a prize?

Pat M said...

Hi again, Colin...your grandma Pat poking her head in to wish you a wonderful HAPPY EASTER, and a joyous family reunion of sorts over this Holiday. Prob meet Egenbergers you have never met before! They'll have suggestions about your tour of Germany I'm sure. Or is that already arrgd? Hope it warms up for you, 40 deg sounds pretty chilly for this San Diegan. We were up over 80 deg for a little while today. Easter Sunday is supposed to be more of the same. I'll close and get back to preparing for the dinner tomorrow. LOL Grandma Pat

Catherine said...

Happy Easter to you and the Augsburg Egenberger clan!
love you!

pat's mom said...

Your dad was kind enough to send me your blog address. Love the pics. Looks again like you are having a great time.