Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ende des Sprachkurses

So yesterday (Friday) we had our last day of class. Now I'm on vacation until April 14, when my semester at the university finally begins.

For our last day of class, we took another tour of Constance. This time we only hit up historical sites, including the Bismarck Tower and old French military housing from the days when Constance was part of the French Zone.


another historical site, The Bus


This is where we eat lunch.


And here I am with my wonderful (ex-)professor, Hilde.

Last night four of us (two Americans, a Turk and a Russian) took the bus to Switzerland. We got coupon books with our residency permits and wanted to use one to get into the planetarium in Kreuzlingen. But here's the deal: We finally get there, and so far everyone's been really nice (especially the bus driver, who even pointed out exactly how to get to the planetarium). Then we arrive at the actual planetarium, and the guy working the counter there is … hmm, what's a nice word for it… it starts with an "as" and ends in a "shole." Anyway, unhelpful Herr Ihateyouall tells us that we have two choices. Either we don't use the coupon, and we pay the student price (€5,00) or we use the coupon and take off €2 off of the adult price (€8,50 - therefore we'd pay €6,50). So our "coupon" would actually cost us an extra €1,50! Unbelievable.
Obviously we didn't go. Instead we wandered around Kreuzlingen and walked back across the border into Germany, where we bought gelato and then shared a bottle of wine in one of our dorms.

Then today I had a massive hassle with reserving the train back from Paris to Constance. My teller was from Korea, didn't speak especially good Germany, and was truthfully one of the least helpful people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I spent an hour with him. It ended with his drawing a picture of a train full of people. This was supposed to explain to me what I would have understood with the word "ausverkauft" (sold out). He also smiled condescendingly the entire time - as if my German wasn't better than his. Anyway, then I spent an hour on the internet in McDonald's (remember how I don't have internet in my room), and then went back. I got a different teller who said he spoke English, but didn't really. We spoke German again. He was very confused by the whole mess, but in the end was very helpful and nice. The trip back won't be ideal (four transfers and a total of about 12 hrs of transit), but it'll take place, and that's all that matters at this point.

And tomorrow I'm off!

11 comments:

Cody said...

Sounds like your day was just wunderbar and filled with so many wonderful experiences, especially with Herr Ihateyouall, he sounds pleasant!

Karl said...

Herr Ihateyouall ! What a hoot.

You have fun in Paris! Beautiful city- especially at night. Love the way they light their architecture.

I once painted a historical bus. Ours had dragons, and the Zig Zag man on the hood. Wonder where it sits these days. I don't think it ever made it back to MN.

Hope you got to keep the drawing of the bus full of people. Have him sign it!

Catherine said...

I agree with Cody, your day sounds wunderbar!
But tomorrow you are off to better things.
Hopefully we can connect with Skype when you are on the road! You've been gone nearly a month now.
We just got back from the movie Stop Loss. Pretty sad.
Hey, whose bus was that?
have a safe two week journey, can't wait to hear about it.
love you!
PS Yes, like Karl said, the drawing of the full bus is definitely a keeper.

Pat M said...

Here we are, the end of Saturday. My day was spent mostly involved in a funeral. Good gal friend of mine...her husband died of cancer recently. Our Card Making group was there en masse. My heart aches for her. They were so very close.

Well, your teller people certainly didn't help much. The last one you said did get your rides fixed up, but with FOUR transfers, wow! But being in Paris (acc to everyone who's been there) is a marvelous experience. I hope that is true for you, Colin. Be really careful!
But have lots of fun! (Is that possible?) If you can, keep in touch. We'll all be waiting to hear of your exploits. Love, Grandma Pat

Paul Halverson said...

Colin, have a wonderful adventure! We'll be checking the blog every day (actually several times a day) and we'll be keeping Skype on all day... your descriptions of your travels add a great deal to our days!

grandma mary said...

Hi Dear - It is a good thing you are a patient man - what a bummer of a day. Have a wonderful trip. I'll continue to check your blog every day.
I'm doing pretty well now the chemo is OVER! Some trouble with walking, but I feel much better.
we just had about 5 inches of snow - the poor robins.
Have fun - Much love,
Grandma Mary

Pat M said...

Hi Colin! Today is April 1st, Tues.
I'm wondering, do people "over there" think of "April Fool's Day"? I hope you have no tricks played on YOU. Our Travelin' Man, Colin. Love, Grandma Pat

Paul Halverson said...

Hey - can't wait to hear some tales of adventure! So you've been staying in a castle? Sweet! Hope to see some pictures soon! Everything is pretty much the same on the home-front...
Love ya,
Dad
ps.We need a blog fix soon!

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying everything! I'm so glad you keep this blog! Someday you can write a BOOK!

Pat M said...

Hi Colin! Boy, do we all miss your blog! Today is Friday, so our gang was all at the VFW for the fish and shrimp and chicken dinner. Always a nice time, and always the same menu.
Our Padres (baseball) are back in the swing, we've won 3 out of 4 so far and are playing the Dodgers this eve. Our biggest rivals. Weather is perfect for any sport.

The bunnies in my back yard have demolished grass on fpjosvone side of yard and are working frantically on the other side. No sense in more grass seed in this area. I'm grateful they aren't spending too much time out in front....yet.

Hope you haven't run into any more Herr Ihateyouall's in your travels!
Lots of love, Grandma Pat

Catherine said...

Hey good morning Colin
I second Grandma Pat; we miss your blog.
I think you are in Berlin now, and I remember you said you might have better access to the internet there.
Dad googled the hostel you are at in Berlin last night and it looks really clean, pretty nice.
Will you get to the Berlin Museum? If you go, and you see the Altar of Pergamon, could you please bring back some literature (auf Englisch bitte) for me?
We are actually supposed to have warm weather this weekend (60s), warmest weather in five months. We need it!
Annaliese is in Kansas City this weekend (with Claire).
love ya!