Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saras Besuch und die Schweiz

This will be a short post since I just updated the blog a couple of days ago.

Sara Thatcher, a friend from college, came to visit me. She stayed in my room and made use of my snazzy extra mattress. The first day she was here, we walked across the border into Switzerland! Check off another country from your list, Sara!

We actually spent a good amount of time in the neighboring town of Kreuzlingen. I hadn’t been there before (unless you count just driving through), and it’s actually quite pretty. It’s also right on lake Constance, ergo a similarly attractive landscape.


In this little bay area there were about fifty billion birds: ducks, gulls, cormorants, and lots of other birds I don’t know the English names of.


Look at how sea green the lake is! I love it.


Say cheese[y photo op]!
Sara poses with wild swans near a petting zoo.


I believe this building is Hotel Seeburg.


crossing back into Germany

and a couple post-scripts:
I am now officially a resident of Germany! I’m also officially (finally) a registered student at the University of Constance.
And lastly, I leave on my trip around Germany on the 30th (i.e., this coming Sunday). Sara’s been traveling around Europe now for a couple weeks (she’s on Spring break), and she told me most hostels will have free wireless, so I just might finally be able to get on Skype. My Skype address is colinhalverson, so add me and ring me up if you see me come online!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Colin I love the photo with the birds!
I am so glad Sara came to stay with you. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
And pretty soon you are off on your road trip throughout Germany and France.
Can't wait to hear from you - I hope Skype works
Thanks for keeping the great blog
Love you!

Pat M said...

Colin, when I sit down at comp I FIRST look at your blog and read comments. And then try to think of something to write about. We are so deluged here with political "junk" on radio and TV and papers it is disheartening. Just think, you are missing that! (Lucky guy) Did any of the Egenbergers over there have any remarks to make about our coming elections, etc.?

This week is filled to overflowing with groups mtg, funeral to attend, nice eating out at VFW (home made meatloaf). I haven't read many complaints from you about food this year. It must not be too bad?
Last week was filled, too, so many trips to grocery store I could not count. Easter stuff.

Love the bird photos, glad Sara could be there and give you some helpful hints about your coming travel. Can you keep doing the blog while traveling? I sure hope so, just go back to my first two lines; have to have my Colin blog fix! Love, Grandma Pat (I'm glad you are finally "official")

pat's mom said...

Guess since you are going to be in Germany until August the Byron pool will be without one of its life savers? What do you have to do to be official or do you just have to wait on paperwork being processed? Hope you can continue to post news and pics once you get to school. Would hate to not have that connection. Is the only way I get to travel is through you and Cody seeing the world.

Paul Halverson said...

Hey Colin, if one of the people you will be traveling with has a digital video camera, you can hook that camera up to your laptop and then have video phone conversations through Skype (also works through iChat). I have set our video camera up that way (had to take out the tape) and Anna (her laptop has the video camera built in) and I have tested it and it works! Pretty sweet! That will be fun to talk to you again!
It must be nice to be able to just walk into Switzerland! Kind of like when we stayed at Boardwalk in Disney and could just walk across the bridge to 'France'! ;-)

Karl said...

I bet it would be a great trip just to go follow around Lake Constance. Another picturesque town in Kreuzlingen! Looks sweet.

I have ichat video, but haven't hooked up skype. But it would be fun to connect in a video chat! Maybe I can reach Paul and tag along on a ichat?

Thanks for posting. What a treat your trip has been. Hope you can still blog along your way!