Monday, March 24, 2008

meine liebe deutsche Familie!

So I spent my Easter break with my amazing German relatives. It was very nice to be with family for the holiday – especially with such wonderful family! Rolf, a distant uncle or what-have-you on my mother’s father’s side of the family (Egenberger), picked me up in Constance, and thus began yet another string of adventures!

We crossed the border into Switzerland and drove to the Rheinfall, a huge waterfall in the city of Schaffhausen.


me, in case you couldn’t tell


This is why I love this region.


We drove up and down between high- and lowlands. As soon as we passed a certain point, everything was green, and then when we reached a higher altitude, everything was blanketed in fresh snow.

We stopped briefly at a Roman Empire-era farmstead. There wasn’t much left, just the stone bases of various building, but the landscape was gorgeous! We were in the flatlands between dead volcanoes, so you could see for miles and miles.


While we were walking back to the car, Rolf and I saw this larger bird chasing the smaller one. They zipped around us for a few minutes before flying off.


Then we drove to Singen to see this famous castle called Hohentwiel. It’s way up there on top of the mountain. It was a long hike! I made Rolf climb all over the place, and although he insists he’s no sportsman, I’m pretty sure he’s an Olympic contender ready to head off to Beijing!


Here we are on top of the world!


Hohentwiel ruins


another view from Hohentwiel
The lake in the background is Lake Constance: home, sweet home!
Oh, and on the left side you can even see the Alps (not well, I warn you, but they’re definitely there)!

Then toward evening we drove to Constance, grabbed some food, and headed off to Augsburg, where those lovely Egenbergers live!


Hermann and Anita, the relatives at whose house I stayed, recently built this Wintergarten. This is where we had breakfast each day.


In Augsburg they were having a big festival called Volksfest (said in the local accent with loads of “sh” sounds). We got there at 10:30 am and had ourselves some Hasenbräu beer. Oh, this is Easter day now, by the way!


Then we went back to the house to have Easter dinner/lunch/brunch/so much food that I don’t think I’ll need a full meal again for a week! From left to right: Walter, Hannah (I’m not sure I spelled her name right), Anita and Hermann. All absolutely gracious, wonderful people!

As I’m typing this, I’m riding back to Constance on the train, and I’m reading this hilarious article Hermann gave me by Mark Twain. It’s called The Awful German Language. Here’s a sample that you Germanophiles will get a bang out of:
“An average sentence, in a German newspaper, is a sublime and impressive curiosity; it occupies a quarter of a column; […] it treats of fourteen or fifteen different subjects […] after which comes the VERB, and you can find out for the first time what the man has been talking about; and after the verb – merely by way of ornament, as far as I can make out – the writer shovels in ‘haben sind gewesen gehabt geworden sein,’ or words to that effect, and the monument is finished. […] German books are easy enough to read when you hold them before the looking-glass or stand on your head.”
They say if you laugh once a day you gain a year in longevity or something like that, so if you have the time, check it out and live an extra decade or two!

In closing, the following transgression: I searched “Easter” in my iPhoto, and found the following picture. It cracked me up so much, that I decided I needed to share it for humanity’s sake.


above: another Easter spent with another lovely set of relatives
Even though I’m off living the good life, traveling the world, I’m still thinking of all of my family and friends on the other side of the globe. Hope all is going well!

13 comments:

Pat M said...

Oh Colin, Never have I been the first one on your blog for the day...
Feels strange. Right now it is 10:15 am Easter Monday and I still have some major kitchen work left over from last night. (Was more fun to play "Blockus" than to do dishes) Your Mom gave the game to Teri, and we all love it here, Cindi especially.

Now if I can find out if I could copy that last travelogue of yours!
Rolf took you for quite a ride before settling down with the Egenbergers, WONDERFUL! If I can't copy, I'll just re re re read it, and the pics also.

Was thinking of you yesterday, hoping you weren't too lonesome on the Blessed Holiday. But I can see you were being entertained with warm, comfortable family. We had a high of 92 deg on Easter day, a little too warm really, but that part was just a small section of the day. It was great! LOL Grandma Pat

Paul Halverson said...

Hi Colin - your adventures keep on coming like the Energizer bunny! What a wonderful trip you took with Rolf! Some VERY good pictures as well! You have a great shot at winning the photo contest next year!
We really missed you yesterday for Easter, but it sounds like you had a lot more fun than we did - certainly a lot more fun than poor grandma Mary who 'celebrated' Easter in the hospital. (This is definitely the LAST chemo treatment!)
At least your world-traveler sister was home for Easter.
Soon you are off on your german tour that ends in Paris! Did I already say that I was jealous?
As a counterpoint to Pat's post, it was 12 degrees here this morning! I can't wait for warmer weather! Last week we hit 51 degrees one day! The first day over 50 since last November!
Love ya,
Dad

Karl said...

Love your travelblog! Complete with Easter feasts with our German family relatives, and ancient mountaintop castles and waterfalls! Jealous doesn't describe it!

Those are some great photos, Colin!

Love, Uncle Karl

Karl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine said...

Hey Colin, what a wonderful post. I am so thankful that Rolf, Anita, Hermann, and the Egenbergers took such good care of you. Egenbergers, if you are reading: Thank you, thank you!
Beautiful photos, what a wonderful weekend.
And now Sarah is there with you, and soon you will be off to Berlin and other places.
Pretty exciting!
Yes, as Paul wrote, it was 12 when we got up this morning. Nothing good weather-wise in the near future either.
Annaliese came home with great photos from Japan. She is a bit mixed up with times still (14 hour time difference), but doing great. Back to school and choir today.
Grandma Mary will hopefully get out of the hospital today. That was her LAST chemo, thankfully.
I love reading your blog. Thanks for keeping us updated.
love you!

Catherine said...

PS Colin I love the Mark Twain article. Hilarious!
And the photo of us in San Diego, I remember that, pretty silly!

Cody said...

Nice pictures Colin, especially the one with you by the waterfall, awesome pic! That pic of you with the beer is nice too. That beer's HUGE! Don't think it'd last me very long, hahahahahaha. How's the beer over there?

Catherine said...

Hey Brother,

Wow it all looks so amazing, I wish I was still in Japan! You lucky!

I am glad you got to spend easter with relatives. They are such nice people!

Anyways I love you and miss you!

-Annaliese

Pat M said...

Hi Colin, Last eve a large group of gals, (well, 12 of us) played Bunco! We were hosted by a good friend Laura who lives in El Cajon (Nick's area).
A FUN evening, very fast shaking dice, marking scores, losers jumping up and moving lower, or winners jumping up and moving higher. In other words, a moving experience. I happened to win highest prize, $10! Since I was a "sub", I knew nothing of the game or prizes or what was happening. But the $10 is in MY purse! Today is Card Making and a birthday party for Ruby, so I'm off , in more ways than one, LOL Grandma Pat

grandma mary said...

Hi Dear - i got home from the hospital today so I could catch up on your blog. Wow! what neat trips and such excellent picures. I feel pretty good, mostly happy that i will have no more chemo. Keep up the good work and I'll keep checking - it's about the high-point of my day.
Much love, Grandma Mary

pat's mom said...

Love the pics- what do they grow in their wintergarten room?

Unknown said...

I haven't checked your blog for a few days.

WOW! I haven't seen much of your art before. It's WONDERFUL!

You are really getting to see a lot there. It is beautiful, but it looks way too COLD! I haven't been in snow for 21 years - other than a brief trip or two into our local mtns to scoop up a handful of the stuff!!!!

I included you in an Easter email with photos. Are you still checking your email? Oh yeah... love that old Easter photo you found! Priceless!

Unknown said...

I had to tell you how much I love the photo with the tree and the shadow in the snow.
It's amazing.

Love,
Ingrid