Friday, June 13, 2008

à Colmar avec ma famille

My family came to visit me! (Because I visited them, right? Except it's a little more fun to vacation in Europe than in Byron…) They arrived Wednesday evening. Thursday we went to Mainau and walked around town, but unfortunately my camera battery was dead, so I have no photos (I may put some up later after I steal them from my visitors). Then today we went to Colmar, a small city in the Alsace région of France (near Strasbourg).


We went to the Unterlinden Museum, which is in what used to be a convent. It has lots of paintings that my mom really likes. Some of them I also liked a lot (e.g., the Issenheim Altarpiece and Schuler's "La char de la mort" - sorry, I couldn't find a good image of that one), but mainly I took pictures of the ones I thought were ugly (see below).


That's what baby Jesus really looked like: Mr. Potato Head on meth.


Then we wandered.


There are more German half-timbered houses in Colmar than all of Germany put together, I'm pretty sure - and it's in France! Madness, I tell ya.


This cathedral is one of many buildings that had these unique, green-tiled roofs.


And here's Colmar's Petite Venise (Little Venice). This city's beautiful.


After checking out the Musée d'Histoire naturelle et d'Ethnographie (they let us in as a family for €4 total, instead of what we were supposed to pay - €14!), we were ambushed by young women in weird clothes. The one in the purple tutu was apparently about to get married, but before she did so, she and her girlfriends had to go thru town and measure 500 meters worth of men (like, e.g., my dad and me). After measuring us, she kissed us and gave us candy.


And this is Alsace on the way back to Constance.

So I realize I didn't actually put any pictures of us as a family up, but I promise to do that in my next post. So far all I have are a bunch of photos of my sister being a goof (shock, right?). More to come - soon!

4 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

Did I ever say I LOVE eating in France? Also nice getting kissed by a young fairy princess....

Thanks Colin for showing us such a wonderful time!

Off to Augsburg tomorrow!

Catherine said...

Beautiful photos Colin, and this time I can write that hey, I saw all that too.
It dawned on me this morning that we have only been gone four days, and it seems like we have already seen so many beautiful things.
That is the way vacations are.
See you at the train station in one and a half hours, and we are off to Augsburg!
love you!

Unknown said...

Oh! I am SO glad to have the correspondence again! Looking forward to family photos as well.

Paul and the fairy princess is a good one for a start!

I agree with Colin on that painting of Jesus (as potato head) - They all have plates on their heads! And that mean nasty nun on the right is just squeezing the life out of poor baby Jesus!

Karl said...

The fairy princess is quite the ambassador!
Can't wait to see the family pics! Incredible that the whole Halverson clan is wandering France & Germany together! Some great memories being made, no doubt.
Very cool!

It looks beautiful! Well, except for "baby" Jesus.

Keep posting! Love it!