Saturday, June 28, 2008

tilbake i Norge!

I'm in Norway! I got here at about 11:00 am on Thursday and am staying with my relatives, the Stokkelands. They used to live in Rochester way back in the day, so I (and the rest of my family - and Grandma) know them quite well.


They live in a town near Oslo. This is the view from their house - gorgeous, right?

Today we went into Oslo to do a bit of touring. Our first stop was the castle.

Norway elected its most recent dynasty. That's right, elected. They apparently have quite a bit of popular support, even tho the prince and princess are kind of … unique. (Princess Märtha Louise has founded an engelskole, where people learn to talk to angels as a form of medicine; and Prince Haakon married a single mother with possible drug history.)


Here's the group of us. Eline isn't in the picture, because she just got home this evening from a rock festival.


Mira, who's five and still insanely rambunctious, also likes ice cream ;)


We went to Vigeland Park, which is known for sculptor Gustav Vigeland's numerous nude statues of people expressing the gamut of emotion at various stages in life.


more Vigeland


Magnus was more mature about it than I was, I think.


It is very pretty, huh? We had brunch here (lefse!).


Then we went to the new opera house, which was coincidentally built by the same architecture firm (Snøhetta) as the library in Alexandria. It is likewise one of my favorite buildings ever.


The walls of it are covered in braille. (photo with Ingvild and Magnus)


the family :)


Magnus the Magnificent did some spectacular magic tricks with his bottle of water.


more opera house

And I'm here until Monday around 5:00 pm, so expect at least one more post about Norway!

6 comments:

Cody said...

I hope you're having fun in Norway! Vigeland Park is very....interesting. Did you see the small sculpture of the wolf eating all the babies? It's pretty crazy! I'll keep looking through my stuff and let you know if there's anything else that you must see. The palace is pretty cool. Oh, you should check out the Harold Innis Museum. You might appreciate it more than I did. See you on Sonnabend achtzehnten Juli(I hope that's right)!!!

Karl said...

Lefse! I haven't had lefse in ages!

Wow Colin, you do get around. Great you were able to stay with the Stokkelands, and see more relatives! Very cool indeed. Ambassador to the world! Amazing. really, how much of the world you are getting to see.

Keep posting! Fun to follow your travels!

Catherine said...

I am so happy that you were able to get to Norway to see the Stokkelands!
It is wonderful to see the photos - makes me miss them (I miss you, too, of course!)
Coincidentally, I just read a short article about the Opera House, which I guess just opened in April. So cool that you were able to see it in person, and also to see the Library in Alexandria by the same Norwegian firm.
Greet Bjorn, Solveig, Eline, Ingvild, and Magnus.
Have a safe journey back to Konstanz tomorrow.
Colin, we will see you back in Minnesota in just 4.5 weeks!
But not before you and Cody travel to Augsburg, then Hungary and Croatia!
love you!

grandma mary said...

Of course I LOVE the pictures of Oslo. I recognize the view from their house. I wondered why I never saw the opera house -- No wonder, your Mom said it just opened in April. Magnus has grown so much since I saw him. Thanks for the pictures, it took me back.
Love Grandma Mary

Pat M said...

Hi Colin in Norway! Glad you could get to the Stokks, but I didn't know they were related? Neat things on your tour of Oslo. Cody will be over there soon, so more travel. Have you kept track of how many countries you were in, during this trip? And you have some more to add later. WOW!
Now that the Soccer tournaments are over (Germany lost I think),are all those noisy crowds done with? What other sports are they "into"? Love, Gr Pat

Unknown said...

Like Karl, I haven't had lefse since I lived in MN!!!!
Thanks for the Norway update!