Monday, June 16, 2008

Deutschland mit der Familie

I'm writing from Geneva! We spent the last few days with the Egenbergers in Augsburg, but first family photos from Constance, as promised:


To our left would have been the Alps if it hadn't been so cloudy…

After checking out my "sweet pad" as I call it, we decided to see something of a different kind of beauty: Insel Mainau.


my mom and my sister on the bridge to Mainau


on Mainau


My mom kept saying how much Teri would love Insel Mainau.

We went to Mainau in the evening, which turned out to be a stroke luck - there was hardly anyone on the island. And in the butterfly house, which is normally jam-packed, we were literally the only visitors.


Another cool thing about going in the evening was that a lot of animals were out and about. (I assume the normal crowds tend to scare them away.)

So sorry for that anachronistic tangent, but I promised photos. For recap: first off was Constance, then Colmar, and then Augsburg to visit the relatives. The second day we were in Augsburg, Hermann, Anita and Rolf gave us an amazing tour of the city.


cathedral


more Augsburg: Sts. Ulrich and Afra


Jesus vs Whore of Babylon at 10pm only on FOX!


near the city wall


Egenberger reunion! (Though not in the photo, we also visited Walter, who will be 90 in August!)

In summary, the visit in Augsburg was amazing! Anita, Hermann and Rolf are wonderful people and spectacular hosts - thank you so much yet again for the great time!

5 comments:

Pat M said...

Wow! Yes, you kept your promise Colin. GREAT photos; that tail on the bird, his blue, blue plumage...
Now, we'll have to have names with the group photo. Thanks for all of it, beautiful.

My friend Teresia in the choir here, she is from Stutgart (sp) so I told her (always telling her) where you were, last post, Colmare ? She is interested, says all that countryside is so beautiful.

Annal took that group pic, right?
Bet she's having a great time also; kind of an addendum to graduation.

Unknown said...

Great to see what all of you are doing!!!! Thanks!

The majority of animals are more active early in the morning and later in the afternoon/evening. Zoos are always best at those times.

Did you know that peacocks molt those beautiful tails? I have watched them from season to season at our zoo. They're in high plumage right now. So gorgeous! Yup. I'd love Mainau!

Colin said...

Hey Colin I didn't know you posted last night.
Well, all I can add is that it has been a wonderful vacation so far. We have seen many beautiful places and things, from cathedrals and museums to gardens and mountains.
Today we wake up in Geneva, for our last three days. It is overcast but not raining, so I think we might head over to Montreux to visit a famous castle.
The wonderful Egenberger family in Augsburg (Anita, Hermann, Rolf and Walter) were all so hospitable to us. We cannot say thank you enough for their kindness!
Catherine

Karl said...

Awww... some great pics in that batch! (And I was afraid everyone was being camera shy.) That is great you could get together with the Egenberger's in Augsburg. What a treat! Some great memories being made...

Thanks again for the posts!

Love to all.

grandma mary said...

Great pictures again! Thanks. I'm so glad to see how much fun you are having all together. What lovely places you are seeing. I especially envy you geneva. It's a place i've always wanted to see.
Love to all of you. Grandma Mary