Sunday, June 8, 2008

Glückspilz/kostenloses Wochenende!

So I really lucked out this weekend: I paid for just about nothing and still did tons of stuff!

My weekend started on Thursday (I don't have any real class on Friday - just tandem team). That night my March language course group got together at a beer garden on the harbor.


Here's my half of the table. (The guy next to me is Denis, my tandem partner.)


Our professor came, too. She is great. I gave her this drawing I did of her as a gift, and she loved it and kissed me on the cheek and kept thanking me. That was sweet. (I purposefully did it on notebook paper, because she always teased me about my doodling during class. She said once that she wanted me to make a booklet of all of my best doodles from class.)

On Saturday we Oles went to Sea Life Center (yes, that's its German name), which is an aquarium mainly for little kids – screaming little kids with microscopic attention spans. We got in for free with a coupon from the booklet that we got when we became residents.


What's a blog post without a photo of Chrissy doing something weird?


There was a cool tank with baby sharks and rays and the real mermaid's purses from which they "hatch."


And they had one of those tunnels you walk through with sharks and sea turtles and eels on all sides. I'm a sucker for those tunnels.

At the end there was this wall where kids stuck post-its answering the posed question "What do you wish for the future of the lake?" Here's my favorite response:
DAS GANS FILE DELFi NE GiBT. [sic]
(dass [es] ganz viele Delfine gibt. that [there] are lots of dolphins.)


After that we went to a free museum above Sea Life with taxidermied animals, which was also cool.


I love Constance.


Then we split up, and Kirsten and I went to Osiander Café to use another coupon (Gutschein) for free hot chocolate (heiße Schocki), which was perfect on a somewhat chilly day. (Don't worry, parents, it's already back to beautiful today!)

After that the two of us went to the Archäologisches Museum, which is free Saturdays. It has artifacts from all over Baden-Württemberg from the prehistoric up through about the 14th century.


Here are some trepanned skulls.


And here's a Carnival (Faschnacht) mask and part of a window from an old Gothic church.

Then yesterday six of us (one German and five foreigners) went to Kreuzlingen, our Swiss neighbor city, to watch Germany wallop Poland in the European Football Championships. While we were standing in line, some extremely nice woman offered us her tickets for free (they had cost her 11 franks, or about $11, a piece)! We lucked out so much! Plus she said there were only four tickets, but it turned out there were six (perfect)!


Deutschland schalala!

Tonight I'm going Shamrocks for their Monday special: delicious half-price hamburgers and €1 off a pitcher of beer! And better yet, my family is coming from the US to visit on Wednesday!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! You certainly did get a lot done on little cash! Good for you! I live my life that way...

I attended an archaeology lecture on trepanning years ago. It's amazing that many people lived long enough for healing to take place! Can you imagine the headache?!

Catherine said...

Nicer photos than the mullet ones!
Can't believe you did that much at almost no cost.
Why did the woman have six tickets to give away? I bet that was a blast.
We are getting SO excited.
Our plane gets into Geneva 7:45 AM Wednesday, then we need to catch a train to Konstanz. I am not sure how long that will take, but I think we will get there before you are out of afternoon classes (hopefully).
How can we contact you when we arrive?
Can't wait to see you.
love you!

Paul Halverson said...

I'm glad the weather is clearing! We've had over a week of rain now and I am longing for the sun! (actually it is sunny here today also, but rain is forecast for the rest of the week)
I just checked out the train schedules for Geneva-Konstanz and it looks like there is one every ohour or less - I really wish we had a public transport system in the US like that!
I bet it was fun to go to a championship soccer game! You have had a lot of great experiences in a very short time. I hate to break it to you, but you probably will have a hard time keeping up that pace... enjoy it while it lasts!

Pat M said...

Hi everyone! It is nearly 5 pm on Monday, and that is my "day with Teri" which I look forward to. It is shorter this eve, because of Musicale at 7 pm. Colin, your mullet pics were interesting. But the very best was that cute little blond kid at the end; name was Colin! I've always liked that pic.
San Diego weather is perfect, more like it usually is. Our June gloom hasn't happened yet.
And Wed Cath & Paul & Annal will be THERE!
Today, Nick's kids Neil and Norma left from Rk Springs Wyoming for Salt Lake, then San Francisco, then
CHINA, for 3 wks. Mobility.
Love and have a great reunion with all your family, Colin...Gr Pat

Karl said...

I had forgotten about that early mullet, Colin!

I just got back from the exotic locale of Columbus Ohio, with a stop in Pittsburgh, PA. You haven't lived until you have eaten a "Buckeye" cookie.

Perhaps by now Cath, Paul & Annaliese are there to see you! If so, you must post pics! Too cool. The whole family in Constance! How 'bout we find a few summer cabins along the lake and do the reunion there!?!