Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An imam, a rabbi and a priest walk into Old Cairo…

So yesterday after the pyramids I saw what was probably my favorite thing in Egypt so far: the 2005 horror film Boo (rated R), which was just released here April 30th of this year. Brilliant can't even begin to describe it. An example of the masterpiece is the following quote, powerfully delivered by the thespian Dig Wayne:
You shoot me in the face, I'll kick your ass!
Okay, so it wasn't actually any good. In fact, it was near par with such spectacles as Fear Dot Com and The Carrot Monster from Mars (alright, so I don't actually remember the name of that last one, but it was on the Sci Fi Channel at around midnight, so you get the gist).

But it was quite the experience to go to a movie in Egypt. Someone brought her baby to the movie, and it cried and screamed a lot of the time; several people answered their cell phones and held conversations during the movie; and there was even a 5-minute intermission (right in the middle of a high-tension scene)! Tickets were $3, so it was still worth it. In fact, parts of it were so funny/awful that I was crying.

Alright, so onward to the photos and the more serious stuff:


We had dinner last night at Gad, a restaurant just a few blocks away from our hostel. This was our dessert (Egyptian pancakes with honey, nuts and whipped cream). My entire meal cost under $3.


Then today we went first to the Saladin Citadel, where there is the above building: the Mosque of Muhammad Ali.


Vera and Alex had to wear green robes in the mosque because their arms weren't covered.


inside the Mosque


Two men get a panoramic view from the citadel looking out over Cairo.


the citadel walls

Then we went to Coptic Cairo, part of the Old City. Here we visited a Coptic Christian church and a synagogue. This area was really cool and extremely old!


The streets in Coptic Cairo were loaded with shops containing (presumably) antiques.

Alex and Vera then went to the Egyptian Museum, but Sara and I just mulled around the streets. I bought 1001 Nights and Sindbad at a book shop. We went to Felfela, an Egyptian fast-food place recommended to me by Chris Hanley (who studied here first semester), and grabbed lunch - a shawarma sandwich (like a gyro sub) and a taamiya (like a pita-pocket with a falafel inside). It was extremely good and also very cheap - around $2.


And again following Chris's recommendations, we went next door to a juice shop. I had a mixed fruit and ice cream drink, which was very nice after a day in the sun!

Then tomorrow we're off to Luxor!

6 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

You forgot the rest of the joke!
A few questions:
Do most of the women in Cairo wear veils or other head covering? Or do most people wear western clothing?Is this helping your Arabic at all? You said you weren't using it much since most people speak English - but are you hearing it a lot and able to understand it? Or read it on signs etc.?
With three women in the group, do you get more catcalls or is it about the same? Mom said it sounded a lot like when she was in Italy when she was your age...
Do you usually get a guide and a car for your excursions - or was that just when you went to Alex?
Do you get around Cairo by foot, taxi or bus?
Have an awesome time in Luxor!

Karl said...

Definitely some of Walt Disney's best work- it looks so real!

I think I love your life, too.

Ha!

Keep posting- we are loving it!

Unknown said...

Take a close look at that photo of the 2 men overlooking the city.
I think they each have a gun!

Catherine said...

I think Teri is right - it looks like those men are maybe armed guards.
I know you said previously that there are police everywhere. Are they armed?
It looks very polluted or foggy or something - is it?
I want one of the green robes; can you get me one?
The food is so cheap, unbelievable!
Luxor - wow, what can I say?
And I agree with Paul - I want to know the ending to your joke!
Have a wonderful time in Luxor. If I remember right, that is quite a long train ride.
love you

Paul Halverson said...

I think the guys in white are policemen - there were a bunch of them in the photo of the egyptian museum.

Pat M said...

Hi, I'm the late one again. It's Tues 10 pm, so I can't claim "First".
Those green robes for the gals: Did they have to buy them, or just use provided robes free (I hope). That dessert pic and description looked and sounded like YUMMM. Glad you had those suggested spots to find decent food. Your days are flying by; Luxor next; I hope that'll be just as interesting as all these have been.
Are these natives friendly toward you and the others? Thanks always for the neat blogs, Love, Gr Pat