Friday, May 2, 2008

die Insel Mainau und mehr schönes Wetter!

Yesterday was a holiday in Germany (Labor Day, or Tag der Arbeit), so we had no class. Chrissy and I decided to grab the opportunity and go to Insel Mainau, an island about 45 minutes by foot from our dorm.

Our route to Mainau took us through Egg. We saw two little boys working what is apparently the German version of a lemonade stand. We each bought a cup of Apfelschorle, which is something like sparkling apple juice.


Later on we passed this stand. Its owner just left everything on the table, even tho the sign said no one was going to be back to man the “shop” until Sunday!

Well anyway, we obviously made it to Mainau, which is known for its floral gardens.


These are “Star Wars Magnolia hybrids,” according to their sign. They’re definitely pretty, but mainly the name just cracked me up.


one of several flower sculptures


Mainau also has a famous butterfly house (Schmetterlingshaus) with a little waterfall, turtles, and fish. It was ridiculously crowded in there. It was difficult to get photos of the butterflies as they zipped by, but there were hundreds of them.


There is also this big greenhouse of orchids with a really expensive restaurant in the middle.


Chrissy posing as best she can


This is what most of the island looks like.


And I’d feel negligent if I didn’t put up one of my millions of photos of the Alps. This one I took from the U. That gross, lighter-colored building is part of Sonnenbühl Ost.

So my life really isn’t too shabby. And a week from today I’m off to CAIRO!

7 comments:

Catherine said...

First!
Good morning. I love the photos of Insel Mainau. I can't wait to see it in person; it looks spectacular.
Amazing that someone can leave a "shop" up untended until Sunday! Hmmm, I don't think that would work here.
I saw from email that you are off to Strasbourg tomorrow. I have heard that is an absolutely beautiful city, you are so lucky.
And the Cairo, which will be another world entirely.
Whew.
Did you say you are going to the University there? Any classes....?
Did you let your profs know you will be gone again (Cairo trip)?
Have a wonderful trip to Strasbourg. How far away is that from Konstanz?
Can't wait to see more photos
Love you!

Cody said...

Second, I feel pretty special! Nice pictures. I like the Star Wars Magnolia hybrids....where are the lightsabers? Everything looks so nice there, I can't wait to get over there in a few months!

Karl said...

Palm trees and Magnolias? You are further south than i would have guessed! It does look beautiful, very picturesque. Not too shabby at all, Colin!

So- Cairo or Strasbourg? Or both? I was in Strasbourg ages ago- I thought the area was gorgeous.

Keep posting and taking pics!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful little island!
Palm trees? Magnolias? I wonder how hard of a frost they can take?
I actually got a photo of a butterfly in a butterfly house! I was VERY proud of myself! It took abut 50 tries to get one butterfly.

OK. Cairo - I am DEFINITELY envious of that trip!

Paul Halverson said...

Hey Colin, You are living teh life fantastic! I can't wait to visit and see where you live.
Last night we went to see Ragamala and the WaDaiko Ensemble -- it was really amazing! Aparna redefines "perfection" each time I see her perform! Truly a wonderful night! Wish you could have been with us!

grandma mary said...

All those gorgeous flowers! I'm green with envy. Here the trees are just gettting buds, finally.
Wonderful pictures, too.
Tomorrow I am going with Gordon and Ireen to a wedding in Rochester! Your second cousin Jason is marrying a Sarah Ann Bandy from Byron. Do you know her? She's older than you, I'm sure. As they say, Small world.
Do you get some classes between expeditions, lucky guy!
Love you - Grandma Mary

Pat M said...

What is it they say? A day late and a dollar short? Hey, that's me, as it is now 8 pm on Sat eve. Last night I missed out on reading your blog and felt quite deprived! Those magnolias were gorgeous but different in shape...but not like "Star Wars".
Good choice to visit that island, the floral offerings are great. How do you get to the "island" by foot? What waters are around the island?
Am interested in Catherine's question...did you let your profs know about your trips? And the answer! Anyway, have a great visit and get ready for Cairo; that'll be entirely different. You have no idea how much you are keeping us all entertained, Colin! Wonderful!
Love, Gr Pat