Wednesday, May 14, 2008

the unending train ride - أو ذهبنا إلى الأقصر

I'm typing this in Luxor! Plus (more good news) a friend of mine back in Constance just let me know that the internet is finally working in our dorms!


Last night we walked down to the Nile and decided to take a felucca ride.


This was our view for an hour and $2/person! It was awesome. (Oh, PS, a felucca is an Egyptian sailboat, in case you didn't know.) We also grabbed some shawarma and had a little picnic on the boat.

Then today we took the train to Luxor. I was told it would take about 6 hours, but it turned out to be closer to 12! We spent our entire day on the train, but at least we were in first class (it cost $2 more than second).


And it's Vera's birthday today, so we bought her this delicious, massive tray of goodies in Cairo.


The ride was very pretty, but God knows I would rather have done something else.


And our "lunch" was terrible. We grabbed pretzel sticks, which were soggy and had chunks of pepper in them. Left from the "pretzels" you can see our Chipseys, which tasted more like tomato juice than chips, and left of that our very decent pack of cheese.

Anyway, Luxor is way different than what I'd expected, but keep in mind I've seen just about nothing so far. It's also ungodly hot here. I just took a shower 20 minutes ago, and I still feel like I could use another right now. And our hostel is right next to one of the places where they blast the prayers on load-speakers - about every half an hour. But I'm very excited to be here, and tomorrow we're going to some very famous sites, so be sure to stop by again!

5 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

And here I was thinking there might be a news blackout while you were in Luxor! The internet has sure spread throughout the world!
The ride in the felucca sounds really peaceful and cool after a hot day at the citadel.
That is another one of those things that I have always wanted to do...(the felucca ride)
So you have yet another train ride to add to your list of fun things to do. :-) At least they make good stories after you survive them...
Today is beautiful here - finally!
Annaliese had her last day of school - and is obviously very happy about that! No more homework until she's at Cornell!
Well, I'd better get back to work. Keep those photos and posts coming!
Love ya,
Dad

Karl said...

Luxor! Wow again, Colin. Train looks modern and comfortable- at least in first class. The sailboat ride on the Nile sounds like something out of a storybook.
I love shawarma. We have a good Egyptian restaurant in town. Wonder how they would compare...
I will admit tho, I would probably melt in the heat.

Can't wait to see your upcoming historic site pics.
Keep posting!

Catherine said...

Hello!!! Annaliese is done with college for this semester, and as dad said, until she leaves for Cornell on August 26th. She is basically ecstatic!
I had my last classes/exams today, and now of course will be grading ad nauseam...
But this is not too exciting!
Your life is much more exciting than any of ours.
The felucca and the Nile looks beautiful, like out of a storybook.
But I agree with Karl, the heat sounds treacherous.
Was first class air conditioned (I hope)?
Hmmmm, that meal on the train...reminds me of some of the Russian menus from J-term last year.
Tomorrow you will awaken and see the Temples of Rameses and the Valley of the Kings and Queens and you will think the train ride was worth it! Amazing!
love you

Unknown said...

I love the $2 ride on the felucca, and I also love shawarma! That sounds fantastic! I want to do that!
I remember in Manhattan, after site-seeing all day in 90+ humid weather, a cool ferry ride to Staten Island (for 25 cents) was WONDERFUL (no shawarma, no sails, but still wonderful)!

Just "HOW HOT IS IT"? You have mentioned it a couple of times, but is it over 100? How about humidity?

You mention the pretzel/chip selection left something to be desired ... but how about that huge plate of birthday goodies? It looked freshly-baked. Was that good? I've liked all the middle eastern food I have had! (However,I have never had pre-packaged mid-east food.)

Sandy (Pat's Mom) said...

Your friend Vera shares my birthday- but I know she is alot younger since I hit the big 50.
Your pictures are amazing. Loved Ramses. Don't you just love train rides?