Sunday, May 18, 2008

zurück durch Zürich - في ألمانيا ثانيةً

Yesterday I left Egypt :( But on the bright side, the internet is working in Ost (knock on wood)!

After the massive train ride back from Luxor, we had the whole day free in Cairo, so we went to the big souk/market (Khan el-Khalili) in town. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos, but it was enormous. And Brady, Sara and I picked you up a hookah (and it survived the flight)!

After that we had a dinner cruise on the Nile.


A friend (Akhmed) of one of the young guys from the hostel (also Akhmed) accompanied us on the ship. I had a lot of fun, even tho parts of it were really weird.


Entertainment included not only an S&M belly-dancer (complete with cane and black lingerie), but also this whirling dwarf/small person/midget/insert correct PC-term here.

Dinner was buffet style, and it rocked. Over dinner we talked with Akhmed, but his English wasn't good, so for the first and only time the entire trip in Egypt MY ARABIC CAME IN HANDY! Now if that isn't incentive enough to learn what the US Dep't of Defense ranks as one of the most difficult languages in the world!

After dinner Akhmed was supposed to drive us back to the hostel, but we decided instead to say we were "taking photos of the Nile," and Akhmed cruised us around downtown Cairo while blasting a mixture of American and Egyptian music, including the original Aicha (or watch my favorite verison)! - this made my night!

The next day (yesterday) all we had time to do was wander a bit more around our part of Cairo. Then we said our good-byes (Alex and Vera get to stay in Egypt for a while longer), and Sara and I headed to the airport. Three hours and fifty minutes after boarding our plane, we were in Zurich, where the two of us separated, and the quartet was down to one.

Back in Constance I was immediately confronted by the stark contrasts: It had apparently just rained, and everything was shiny, cool and fresh, compared to Cairo's dry, hot and dusty It was absolutely silent on my walk home except for the random chirping frog or songbird, the exact opposite of the insane level of noise near our hostel (honking, yelling, muezzins' calling to prayer).


snail on the sidewalk in Constance - Another difference is the pace of life ;)

While Egypt was quite possibly my favorite trip ever, it is good to be "home" …for now!

6 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

Welcome 'home'! What an amazing journey! I am especially glad you got a chance to converse in Arabic!
Now you can relax and catch up on your sleep and catch up on your classes (what a concept!)
Thank you so much for taking us all with you on your trip - we all really enjoyed it!!!
Have a wonderful day,
Love,
Dad

Cody said...

I bet you loved listening to Aicha! I just got done watching the Gellieman version, it takes me back! hahaha. Good to hear you were able to use your Arabic.

Unknown said...

Oh my!!! BOTH versions of "Aicha" were quite "EXTRAORDINARY"!!

I'm sorry to see your Egypt trip end! It has been wonderful to read your daily blog! Thanks!

I'll look forward to more on Germany.

Catherine said...

Wow, another amazing post.
What a change, from the Nile Cruise to the quiet of Constance.
I bet it is somewhat a relief to be out of the heat and noise, even though it sounds like it was incredible to see/hear/smell.
Okay, so I don't understand - how can a Muslim country have cruises with exotic dancers? How does that work?
Is the "little person" a dervish, a whirling dervish?
I listened to both Aichas. Both of course are lovely but I especially enjoyed the mystery and the small monkey in the first version. Enchanting.
Do your profs remember you?
Oh, Colin, you mentioned you spoke with Bjorn - good. Have you also checked in with the Schulstads?
Thanks for the posts
Love you!
Oh, Annaliese is home and recovering from wisdom teeth removal. She did well and is a much more reasonable patient than you were! She didn't ask if she could drive home or anything like that!

Karl said...

I love a good whirling midget. No cruise is complete without 'em.

You have had quite the trip to Egypt. Quite a contrast to Constance. Thanks for sharing!

grandma mary said...

I wondered if you would get into the sauk. It plays a large role in the stories I've read. In those days it was rather dangerous as well as mysterious.
Thanks for taking me along on this great trip.
Love you - Grandma Mary