Thursday, May 15, 2008

SO COOL! but SO HOT! - في الأقصر

First off, happy belated 50th, Mrs. Toft!

"So, just how hot is it in Luxor these days?" you ask. Well, today it was 110°F - painful. Tomorrow it's only supposed to be 97°, tho. Being basically in the middle of the desert if you step more than five feet away from the Nile, it's also pretty ungodly dry.

And now, PHOTOS! (way too many, just to warn you)


Breakfast at the Nubian Oasis Hotel is included in the approximately $3 I spend a night staying here! This is about the best breakfast I've had in weeks. The hotel, however, isn't air conditioned, which kind of sucks.

Today we saw some of the coolest things so far, which is saying a lot! First we went to the Valley of the Kings.


It's a good way into the mountainous desert (in order to prevent grave robbing, tho it didn't do a very good job), so we had to take these little carts to the different tombs.

We saw the tombs of Ramses I, III and IV, but couldn't take photos inside. They were amazing! This is the stuff you see in movies and on archeology TV shows (what? you don't watch archeology TV shows?!). It was covered in hieroglyphics and paintings of the gods.


Next we went to Hatshepsut's Mortuary Temple. It was really cool. And here you are allowed to take photos. (For those of you who were wondering, Hatshepsut is the pharaoh who married her half-brother, dressed up like a man, and sort of usurped the throne from her son.)


hieroglyphics in Hatshepsut's Temple


sphinxes around Hatshepsut's Temple

Next up we went to the Valley of the Queens. Here we also went into a few tombs, but they weren't as cool as the King's tombs. And again, no photos allowed.


doorway to one of the Queens' tombs


Next we drove to the Colossi of Memnon. They were huge. But I was so hot in the car, that I'd taken off my shoes (thinking we were done with the trip already). So when we had to jump out of the car, I had to skip across the burning tar to the comparatively cool sand in order to get a good view.


the Nile at Luxor


This was my lunch. It cost less than $2 and was delicious. (tomato soup with lemon and falafel - delicious!)


Luxor seems like it's a lot poorer than Cairo to me, but it might just be that we're living in a low-income area. For example, there is a flock of goats that lives near us and wanders the streets.

12 comments:

Karl said...

Hot hot hot! 110 is too much, even if it is dry... no AC in the hotel- ouch!
Sounds like dining is cheap and tasty tho!
No photos inside the tombs? Darn! You did get some interesting shots anyway. Such a world apart.
Thanks for the glimpse into your travels Colin!

Paul Halverson said...

Wow! (again!) Hard to imagine being in 110 degrees! I hate it when it gets up to 90!
What an amazing day to see all of that - its really too bad you couldn't take photos inside - but thanks for the links to make up for it!
Looks like a good food day, though the prices are a bit steep! ;-)
I was wondering - can you read all of the signs etc.? ie. like on the wall in the last photo...
Hope you are drinking LOTS of water - very important to keep hydrated in that heat.
Can't wait to see you and hear all of the detailed stories behind these posts!
Love,
Dad

Catherine said...

The photo of the streets of Luxor was amazing, then I tried to imagine a herd of goats wandering through the streets.
Such a different world.
Did you have tour guides at the Rameses tombs and at Hatshepsut's funerary temple?
I wonder why you could take photos inside her funerary temple but not inside the Rameses tombs?
Do the four of you go together for driver now? Is the driver also a tour guide?
I have to say the temps sound horrible to me. I imagine January/February would be a better time to visit, although I am not sure.
The food looks fantastic.
Thanks for giving us yet another glimpse into a very different part of the world!
love you

grandma mary said...

Thanks for the pictures and info about a place things I have read so much about. How awesome that you can see them and I can sort of get a second hand view. But 110 degrees! Horrors. Like your Dad says, drink a lot of water.
Love, Grandma Mary

Cody said...

I watch archeology shows, I seen one where the host was an archeology professor part time and he also fights bad guys. One episode he found the Ark! Sound familiar? I hope so. Did you get any more pictures of the Valley of the Kings, that place seems so cool!! Bummer you couldn't take pictures inside the tombs of the Ramses fellas.

Catherine said...

That is seriously ridiculous Colin! I am so jealous it is not even funny!

But I also have something to be excited about... Yesterday was my last final!!!!!! :-) WOOOT I am DONE I tell ya DONE!

Mom and I have our mouth surgeries coming up.. =P

Anyways I love you

Keep having FUN!

-Annalieseliesleisliese

Sandy (Pat's Mom) said...

Thanks for the birthday greeting. Wish I were there with you- it looks so amazing and I can't believe you are actually there. When do you go back to school? Not that traveling and exploring the pyramids isn't schooling. I personally believe travel is as educational as a classroom. Some times more so.
Have fun- keep the pics coming.
Haven't seen any scarab beetles have you? Or mummies?

Unknown said...

Yup. Over 100 is too much anywhere, but I know from experience here in San Diego, that no humidity helps TREMENDOUSLY! I'll take 100 with 10% humidity over 85 with 85% humidity ANY DAY!
Does it cool down at night? I think most deserts do.

I can't believe how reasonable everything is there! You're doing fantastic things and the food looks great! All we hear about here is how bad our dollar is doing! Sounds as though Egypt is the place to travel on a budget!

Catherine said...

I agree with Teri, everything is cheap cheap cheap.
Egypt is not part of the European Union though; that makes a big difference.
Flights over there would be really expensive, but once you got over, it sounds like it would be not only amazing to see, but also really inexpensive.
Colin, I just had my gum surgery.
I feel okay.
love you!

Paul Halverson said...

Hey - check this out! Seems the "Welcome to Alaska" is not an isolated incident!

Pat M said...

Hi, my hot-footed grandson! Oh, I can feel the pain, your skipping over the hot tar to the hot sand. San Diego is trying to get up to Luxor...we had 96 today which is too warm for us. But cooling down quickly at 7:30 pm. Padres are playing again this evening, but they aren't holding anyone's interest right now...the bottom of the league.
Nick's house is AC and I don't usually turn mine on, too much trouble. Have lots of fans everywhere. But when he got over here to take me to VFW, oh boy, did he notice the difference.
My sis Rita in Omaha has been in terrible trouble with a type of stroke. After 25 days in ICU she has been moved to another hospital for therapy and that is WONDERFUL NEWS. We are all excited that she shows such improvement!
What city is next, Colin? Do you get back to classes next Monday?
Sounds about right. But boy, did you "see the world" for this past week. Good for you, Love, Gr Pat

Unknown said...

I LOVE the suggestion found in the link to the "Other Egypt Blog" found by Paul!

I WANT TO GO TO PETRA ALSO!!!!
I think you should go there next Colin - and blog us so we can see it vicariously! One more week of missed school - who's counting at this point?