Monday, May 5, 2008

studieren?! manchmal.

Ok, so apparently you're all wondering about my classes. While I'd like to say I don't have any, I do - not that I'm here that often to attend them ;) - but seriously, here's my schedule (you'll have to click on it; I don't know how to make a table on blogger):



The only one that seems difficult so far is Russian, and that's mainly because I have to learn a foreign language in a foreign language. And here's what a tandem team is, by the way: I teach him my native language half of the time, he teaches me his the other half.

And finally, because I don't have any photos with which to amuse you, I figured I'd write you all a poem about Sonnenbühl Ost:

Ode to a Showerhead

Oh Soviet showerhead, how matchless you are!
For some reason in the States, they stopped making showers like you
Before they started.
But why? Do Americans truly despise the adventure you offer?
Now you scald me, now you give me hypothermia;
Now welts form where you pummel my skin,
Now I have to shake you, just for the water to drizzle out.
Have none so loved you as I?
Have none been so awed by your undomesticable might?
The way you refuse to be restrained by your measly “curtain?”
The way, in spite of your one moldy, tearing drape,
You build lakes and rivers throughout the bathroom?
The way your hose flails wildly, and I must dodge its burning touch?
But your crowning achievement, oh Soviet showerhead,
Is surely the way you will only point directly at the wall,
So that I must smash my body up against the cold tiles
In order to wash my hair.
Yours is a rare ability
To make common chores into marvelous feats.
Oh Soviet showerhead, how matchless you are!

Peace! And next time you hear from me, I'll be in EGYPT!

8 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

O Soviet Showerhead!!! ROTFL....!!!

Your talents never cease to amaze me!

Catherine said...

Good morning and I love the Ode to Soviet Showerhead!
Makes me want to move there now.

And off to Cairo in three days, oh my, that should be an adventure.

Do your profs know?

Thanks for sending your schedule; classes look really interesting. I bet your Arabic is improving, just in time for the trip to Egypt. That should help!

Can't wait to hear. Have a safe flight and safe 9 days there.
Love you!

Unknown said...

VERY funny ... and a bit ironic if you picture those rolls of toilet paper US dollars hanging in the same room as that lovely shower!

I REALLY TRULY ENVY YOUR TRIP TO CAIRO! (Have I said that before?)

Karl said...

Have fun in Cairo Colin!

Ode to a Soviet Showerhead....oh my! LOL!

grandma mary said...

Now he's a poet! I loved the poem. A shower must have been an interesting experience. I'm VERY eager to hear about Egypt. Have a safe trip.
Love, Grandma Mary

Pat M said...

Your GREAT poem was quite visual...I could see the hose swinging around,and shooting at the wall inst of where you needed it. But in case you think America isn't as advanced, MY shower head directs itself at the tiled wall right after I get all set to be under it (where it was).
We all are intrigued with Egypt and what you'll be into there, looking forward to whatever you can write (I hope you'll get to do that) and pics from there, too. Be careful (have you been told that often?) and have an enjoyable trip. Love you, Gr Pat

Unknown said...

that poem demonstrates one of the many reasons why i love you, colin halverson.

Catherine said...

So okay you are in Cairo now!
I can't wait to hear.
it must be amazing!
love you