Saturday, May 24, 2008

um den Bodensee wandern, oder letzer Tag mit dem Eurailpass

Yesterday was my last day with the Eurail Pass. Technically I could still use it today, but I'm too tired from my adventure yesterday! So I took the train from Constance to Radolfzell, another small town on Lake Constance (der Bodensee in German). The trip took about a half and hour, and marked the beginning of another massive hike.


I started off mucking thru the forest along the Bodensee and wound up on the outskirts of Radolfzell when I finally managed to get out. I decided to just continue in that direction, having no clue where I was going, but I had the entire day free until 8 pm, so…


There's Radolfzell in the distance.


Following Lake Constance brought me to the even smaller town of Moos, which is really quaint - a close second to Egg for prettiest tiny German town.

Next I wandered thru Iznang, another small town, and continued along the way towards Horn.


Somewhere before Horn I got this photo. This plant is a so-called "living fossil" (I learned way more about plants in my Organismic Biology class than I did about animals). It's called a horsetail (Equisetum sp.), and split off from other plants before the evolution of seeds. In the Carboniferous period the Constance region was home to horsetails that grew as tall as trees (nearly 100 feet tall!), though now only one genus of horsetails survives.


Then I walked along a nature reserve (Naturschutzgebiet) on my way back to Radolfzell, where I bought waffles and whip cream - brunch today! - and took the train back to Constance.

Before I close, I want to ask a question: Yesterday I read about a book called The Third Policeman, and I was wondering whether any of you readers had heard of (or better yet, read) it? Anyone?

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Good morning!
Your hike looks like another gorgeous day wandering around the Bodensee. Beautiful there! And the photo of the horsetail plant was really interesting.
I had not heard of The Third Policeman, but I checked out the reviews on amazon.com, and it sounds intriguing. There was a warning: don't read the foreword or the story will be spoiled.
We are having nice weather over Memorial Day Weekend. (We get a holiday too!)
love you

Paul Halverson said...

Hi Colin - you are getting to be quite the vagabond! Too bad about the demise of your eurail pass though.
I power-washed the deck yesterday, so your hike sounds a lot more enjoyable!
The last couple posts looks like its been hazy or overcast? Otherwise would you be seeing the Alps in the distance - or were you facing the other direction?
Have fun resting up today! Sounds like you have had quite the workout the last couple days.
Love,
Dad

Karl said...

Very nice photos and writings of your wandering, Colin.
I did yard work yesterday, so Paul and I both had less than intriguing days. I will spare you the details, but will say I spilled gas in the garage and it stinks.

I had not heard of the Third Policeman, but it looks interesting- written in 1939-1940, but published in 1967. I am reading Prayers for the Assassin by Robert Ferrigno. Just started it, but it is a real page turner.

Catherine said...

Hi Colin I'm working on my pictures and they're really fun. It's too bad you can't make it to my Grad party.
I love you
your sister
Annaliese

Pat M said...

Colin, your latest blog with photos is so scenic and restful. Many of them show combination water/trees and plants, which is always a winner. The horsetail plant was new to me and I'm glad you happened upon it. I have not read "The Third Policeman";, am just starting "Three Cups of Tea" which Teri brought over. My Sunday newspaper takes over Sunday reading;I am too attached to newspapers, love them.
You will be in Germany for some time yet; will you try for another Eurailpass? Maybe your profs told you to stay put for awhile? Just kidding!
Our Padres had to go to 18 innings this afternoon, but finally won, thank heaven. From 1 pm to 7 pm, even later I guess.
Memorial Day here, tomorrow. Weather is perfect, cool but nice.
We all loved the rain, all day Friday.
To our European hiker, Love, Gr Pat

Unknown said...

I know nothing about the Third Policeman, sorry.

Horsetail grows here. You want it in a planter box however. It spreads like a weed! There is a home in Del Mar where it has covered the entire front yard. (I bet the neighbors love it!)

Other "fossil" plants that do well here are cycads and tree ferns.