Friday, May 9, 2008

Welcome to Alaska!

Yes, the title is odd. You'll have to wait until further on to find out what it means. (Suspense draws the reader in…)

So Sara and I took the train from Constance to Zurich today. Here's what the view from the train was like:


Switzerland: not a bad place

It was only a little over a three hour flight, and I sat next to this nice Dutch woman who thought I was German until told her the bad news. She was shocked that I, as an American, had somehow managed to learn another language.

And then we were in Egypt! As soon as the airplane started to descend, I started to have this problem: I was so excited that I couldn't keep from smiling like a moron - hah!


This is my amazing room in Cairo at the King Tut Hostel on Tahrir Square. And yes, that's a private bathroom. And I have a queen-sized bed. It costs €12/night and comes with breakfast.

After we got settled (around 3:00 pm), we just wandered around Cairo.


near our hostel


This is already one of the coolest, most different things I've ever done. We are such a minority: I, especially, stick out like a sore thumb as about the palest thing around. But I love it (remember, I've only been here for half a day).

Another funny thing is the number of cat-calls Sara has already gotten. About every block some one whistled at her, or (in the case of a six-year-old Egyptian boy) called out, "I love you. I love you!" People also have constantly been shouting at us (even from across the street) "Welcome to Egypt! Welcome to Cairo!" One young man, for whom I would assume English is a second or third language, even welcomed us to Alaska.


Cairo at dusk

And in closing, I would like to propose the following: Since my awesome hostel has free wireless, I was considering posting about every day or every two days, but only if people would be able to keep up. So it remains up to you: Would you read one post a day?

6 comments:

Paul Halverson said...

I, for one, would read several posts a day! (I check multiple times a day, since I like to read what your readers post as well as what you post.) Besides, I have no life... ;-)

We lived near Cairo, NY... I wonder if there is a Cairo, Alaska???

I am assuming this is the most different place that you have visited? Have you used your Arabic yet? So far you have had immersion in German, Russian and now Arabic!

What is the weather like? How hot is it?

Have a wonderful time!
Love
Dad

Catherine said...

Hey wonderful to hear from you SO soon; I didn't expect it.
Your room looks great
Oh I am so jealous now
Wow!
Yes I would definitely love to read daily blog posts.
I can't wait to see more photos.
thanks so much!
love you

grandma mary said...

Yes, I always check your blog every day and with my interest in Egypt, of course, I'd love to hear from you daily. I only wish I were with you.
Is it really hot there? Your room looks nice, and with a bathroom even.
Keep taking pictures and have a wonderful time.
Love, Grandma Mary

Cody said...

Nice pictures! I'd read your blog many times a day. I already do since it takes me away from my boring days of reading and studying in IOWA. Fire away....I can keep up!

Karl said...

More! More! Post more! I am loving it.

Wow- Egypt! What a trip! You are getting a lifetime of travel in on this "classes in Constance" concept!

Perhaps you should ask everyone on the street where Anchorage is? (Musta taken a wrong turn somewhere...)

I had heard about the catcalls for Caucasian women there.

Have fun! Be careful!

Love Karl

Pat M said...

Oh boy, you bet I would read one blog/day. Or more. I try to open at least once/day now. You are covering so much right now; wouldn't want to miss any. I'm writing on M's Day, and most of the questions I would pose to you, have been asked by your Mom and Dad. We ALL are loving it, Colin. Hope your good weather continues; it wouldn't be fun having pouring rain while trying to be a tourist. Much love to you, Colin,from Gr Pat